This Page is Designed to Help You Measure a 4 Sided Shade Sail of Any Shape.
Custom made 4 sided (or 4 connection point) shade sails are popular and are suitable for shade sails of up to certain sizes. But 4 connection point shade sails ARE NOT ALWAYS THE BEST SOLUTION! Adding a 5th fixing point can help close the gap between the sail and the structure.
The team at Custom Made Shade Sails are available to help you design your shade sail. Check our resources section, or use the contact page.
SHADE SAILS THAT ARE ANCHORED TO YOUR HOUSE OR STRUCTURE
If there is an opportunity to add a 5th fixing point, on the house side, you should take it! Most 4 point shade sails would have more structural stability as a 5 point shade sail. If you can anchor in 3 positions it’s almost always best to do so. The larger the spans between each connection point, the more the sail will move up and down in strong winds, so reducing the spans on a shade sail is a wise way to improve the design and strength of a shade sail.
FREE STANDING SHADE SAIL STRUCTURES
If there is no suitable structure to connect your shade sail, sometimes a 4 post shade sail is the only option. If you are doing a 4 post shade sail, heights are a major factor to ensure a good shape and long lasting shade sail. Simply viewing our ‘gallery’ is a good way to start. Spans will also matter, if you are wanting to create a shade more than 3m out of ground, or more than 7mx7m in total size, you should get in touch so we can help in the design process.
MOVING ONTO MEASURING A 4 POINT SHADE SAIL
Measuring Up for a 4 Point Shade Sail is Easy!
1. ON A PIECE OF A4 PAPER (OR OUR ORDER FORM) PUT 4 POINTS INDICATED BY DOTS OR SQUARES.
2. LABEL YOUR DOTS A,B,C AND D
3. ADD YOUR HEIGHTS BY LISTING A,B,C AND D DOWN THE PAGE. LIST ‘A’ AS YOUR LOWEST POINT – AND ADD THE APPROX HEIGHT VARIATIONS FOR THE OTHER CONNECTION POINTS – EVEN ON SLOPED LAND, WE JUST NEED THE APPROX HEIGHT DIFFERENCES.
4. TAKE 6 MEASUREMENTS TO THE NEAREST MM
A-B-C-D and A-C plus B-D (6 measurements in total)
5. CHECK YOUR DRAWING AGAINST OUR EXAMPLE DRAWING TO ENSURE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING WE NEED TO MAKE THE SHADE SAIL
IF YOU ARE USING SAIL TRACK IN YOUR DESIGN YOUR DRAWING SHOULD LOOK SOMETHING LIKE THIS
Please measure the length of the track and the connection point to point measurements, so we can make the sail track edge (keder) spot on!